Ok, so I wish I could say my master bedroom always looks like this but that would be a lie lol. The truth is, no matter how organized I think I am life gets messy especially with a demanding job and small children. Some weeks I do a great job of keeping our home organized and sometimes it looks like a tornado came right through our home. We do outsource weekly for cleaning and some organizing but we also have small children who are still in school and my scrubs pile up pretty quickly.
This month I am patterning with Hoover for their one month home detox challenge.
Each week my goal will be to declutter one room in our home. This week I am starting with my master bedroom. Other than the family room, we spend a LOT of time here. The kids watch tv and play, I do pretty much all of the laundry here and also sometimes study when I don’t want to go upstairs to the office. This room is my safe haven and thus bears most of the mess.
My goal was to get an organization system in place so I wouldn’t have to do everything in this room. I try to do most of the laundry in the laundry room so that clothes do not pile up in the same place where I sleep.
Shop exact items in my master bedroom below!
Here are 5 key tips if you want to begin to declutter your space
1. Rome wasn’t built in a day and your area doesn’t have to be clean in one day. Start with just a few minutes each day. Each increment of 5 or 10 minutes will quickly add up. The more you make it a habit the more consistent you will become. Step back and visualize what you want your room to look like they take the necessary baby steps to get there. Complete a vision board of your dream room.
2. Donate donate donate! I know you think you NEED everything you currently have but the truth is you don’t! If you find something you haven’t used in months consider donating it. If there is an outfit that still has the price tag on it then you don’t truly need it. I believe it is easier to enjoy life when we make it more simple.
3. Keep a before picture. It is easier to see where you are going when you see how far you have come. Some days it will feel as if you are not making much progress. When you have those moments refer back to your picture so you can remind yourself you are getting closer to your goal.
4. Create storage spaces for everything. I have come to learn that if everything has a space then it is easier to stay organized. When items don’t have a specific area to which they belong then they are always left out of their home. So find a home for each and every item or create a home!
5. Most importantly Just start! It doesn’t have to be perfect. Your home may not be on HGTV but make it your goal to make it a positive space to enter in that brings you joy. Life is really about the simple things and less is more. Start today. Not next week or even tomorrow. Take 5 minutes and begin decluttering your space. You will thank me later.